Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Your health: priceless

Wal-Mart commercials make me laugh. "We save people money so they can live better" and then they talk about all the great deals they have on horrible overprocessed food that's killing you. Sure, your cereal and your soda are super cheap but what are they doing to your body?

This topic has been weighing heavily on my mind recently. I've been talking up local farm food to people, from friends to fellow students. The number one objection is the price. It got me thinking. Is there a price on your health?

I've worked in stores selling epxensive salon-quality hair products and expensive designer bags. My selling line when people always complained about price was: you get what you pay for. Shell out some extra money for a nicer bag or pair of shoes, they will last you longer and you don't have to replace them every month. If you're going to buy the cheap stuff, the cheaper ingredients are going to damage your hair. Isn't it worth spending the extra money for a high quality product?

Food is no different, and I have to say it's even more important than hair or handbags. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true. What could be more important than taking care of our own bodies?

I've gained so much clarity in the last few weeks. I've been feeling so much better and having so much more energy and getting so much done. It's made me realize how important it really is to be healthy. I'm at a point in my life where I'm still not worrying about the grocery bill - my parents are nice enough to do that for me. I'm a student and I only work one day a week, I can't really contribute much right now. But I have no doubt that when I'm working again or when I'm out on my own, I will have no problem spending money on real food. I'd much rather have food that nourishes me and makes me strong and healthy than any handbag or any of the crap I used to spend all my money on.

I could do a cheesy Mastercard commercial spoof. List prices of grass-fed beef and local vegetables. But it's really been overdone, hasn't it? But seriously, your health really is priceless.

Read this article also. It's good. Joel Salatin rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment